Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

AGGRESSIVE OPINION ON "THE TARANTINO WAY"

10th June 2009 - 9:00pm: All exhausted from work. A friend calls and asks me to come over to meet him for a bit, the fatigue takes over and I’m not even in a position to move a muscle, till the time he bribes me saying "I have a DVD of Quentin Tarantino movie - Hostel". The name Tarantino runs a cold chill in my body everytime I hear it. In my books, 'Tarantino' fetches the highest price. I still bow when i hear names like 'Reservoir Dogs', 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Kill Bill'.

9:15pm: I reached friend's apartment, made small talk, snatched the movie from his hand and left for home. I glance at the cover - all black and red with picture of a person tied to a chair - looks like lot of bloodshed!! I just hope it’s not a horror movie, as I have never watched one. My sheer paranoia with respect to horror movies is well known. As I begin to walk away, my friend shouted from behind "Don’t worry it’s not horror". I must say, what a sigh of relief that was!

10:15pm: Digging myself in popcorns & beer, I finally began watching the movie. It started with 3 friends Mike, Sam and Ed planning an East European vacation. They start their vacation in Slovakia, staying in a Youth Hostel for couple of days. The first night they have a good night out with their room mates staying at the hostel, happen to be two very gorgeous girls, so even better. In the morning Ed is gone. After several unanswered calls & lots of searching, help came in the way of Hostel Receptionist telling Mike & Sam about Ed checking out early morning. Party continues the second night - girls, dance and booze. This time Mike is missing. All this seems too strange to be happening for Sam "my friends just can’t abandon me", he said. On questioning one of the girls from the night-out, Sam is guided to a worn out building to find his missing friends. Reluctantly he walks inside through narrow corridors, nearly throwing up due to the filth and the pungent smell. By then, I have the pillow half covering my face already and could visualize my friend laughing on my plight of watching a horror flick alone.

11:15 pm: Sam opens one of the rooms and is shocked to see Mike lying dead in a pool of blood and a man drilling his stomach. The blood plethora was enough for me to part ways with the beer glass. Further, Sam is captured and tied to a chair and is approached by a man with chainsaw, all set to remove organs from his body. I was sick by this time, too much gore for my liking. Quentin Tarantino probably overdid this time, at least for me. After 60 minutes, my quota of watching this Tarantino flick is over. I quickly switched the movie off and tried to sleep, but the images just won't leave. After 5 episodes of the high on life show "Entourage", my mind was at peace (though, I had some dozen more sleepless nights later)

In retrospect, Quentin Tarantino actually didn’t disappoint. He just lived to his reputation. His films have large amounts of flowing blood that are graphically violent in an artistic sense. Tarantino violence is always full of tension and grit. Much as he wants to entertain audience, his primarily goal remains - 'To Leave a Mark', and mark he left with just first 60 minutes of 'Hostel'.

(The above is written jointly by me & one with comparatively non-aggressive opinions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You read the article. Please post your aggressive comments for sure -