Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

GREEN ADVENTURE

Green Adventure

Trekking Western India’s one of highest peak – ‘Rajmachi’ was my first appointment with not just adventure but also nature. We were a group of 5 enthusiasts, all first-timers with respect to ‘trekking’, to add to that, I had fear of heights. Though the trek was only for around 8 hours to and fro, steep climb, rocky way, trekking in night, unaware of the correct path and non availability of fresh water made it very difficult. While trekking, to make things easier, I decided to not look down or back. It is human nature to do something, what one decides not to, especially if one fears it. And I did it! I looked down and bang!!! my head started spinning. I lost control and tumbled like the fabled nursery rhyme character - 'Jack'. Luckily my friend supported me. Dizzied and ready to give up, I decided to wait till my other friends returned from the peak. However, something struck me inside and I decided to continue. Adversity had brought the best in me. In the end, I not only completely ended my fear of heights (hopefully) but I also found one of my biggest passions – Adventure. I have now completed around 10 treks of varied difficulty levels. Attitude of never giving up, consistency, persistence and crossing all limits are some of the values I have learnt through these activities. More importantly I have come to respect nature’s beauty which lies hidden. It was only for ‘trekking’ I could explore all the serene unexplored places and get a quick change from the polluted, traffic ridden lives of Mumbai city.

It will be a shame if each one of us do not contribute or give our due back to the environment. Even an hour per week dedicated to save the environment will make a difference. Recently I have started my own facebook community (Save Aarey Milk Colony) to protect one of the last remaining green patches of Mumbai city – ‘Aarey milk colony’. Development has taken a heavy toll on Mumbai gardens with most of it completely wiped off. The intention behind this community is to save the last remaining green area from real estate / government related encroachments and deforestation. We have got support from another NGO working towards the same endeavor and joint efforts are now being planned.

By working for a greener tomorrow, I guarantee you a sense of satisfaction in fulfilling a moral compulsion.

(I Support SAVE OUR TIGERS http://www.saveourtigers.com/ Do you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You read the article. Please post your aggressive comments for sure -